Dog of Krishna!
By Raveena Emmanuel
I always wondered why Srila Prabhupada said we are Krishna's dog. This thought always bothered me — why did he choose a dog? A few days ago, one of my family's oldest friends engaged me in a long conversation. By Krishna's unlimited mercy, I am surrounded by souls who are deeply spiritual across many different faiths. This uncle mentioned the qualities of a dog. He said a dog has up to forty qualities, and that one of the most important is humility. No matter how much you hit your dog, scold them, or are rude to them, they will still wag their tails when they see you. They are so faithful that no matter what it takes, they will always try to defend you from any potential danger.
After he left, I reflected on our conversation and found myself wondering: we are not even as good as dogs, and yet we feel so proud of ourselves. I remembered that Srila Prabhupada often asked us to feel like a dog, and my doubt was finally resolved. H.H. Radhanath Swami explains the principle of opposites attracting each other in terms of spiritual success. He says Krishna is all-powerful, so if we try to show our power to Him, we will only repel Him. The power of knowledge, wealth, renunciation, or beauty cannot attract Him. Humility attracts Him. The more we become humble, the more Krishna will come running to us.
Such a simple attitude, and yet we find it so difficult to adopt. Because we simply cannot give up our egoistic identity of being a scholar, or supremely talented, or an excellent human being, or what is even more common: "I know and understand everything." If someone scolds us, worse still, we hold eternal enmity against that person. We can never forget that insult, let alone continue loving that person unconditionally. We are so conditioned in every walk of life, and yet we are proud. We can love only if we are loved. We can offer respect only if we are respected. We care only if we are cared for. And we talk about trṇādapi sunīcena.
I laughed at myself, thinking that we claim to have so much knowledge, but realization? None. Just then I came across this quote: "By reading you learn, but you understand by love." And it struck something deep. We may know everything, but we do not truly understand. No matter what we believe, we only love ourselves. Because if we were truly selfless, we would not be hurt, we would not feel enmity, anger, or hatred. We would only be concerned with the pleasure of our beloved.
Now, every time I see a dog, I think to myself: "I am not even as good as him."
Source: https://www.dandavats.com/?p=12342

Comments
Post a Comment